๐️ Pioneer Day Reflection ๐ต Come, Come, Ye Saints
๐️ Pioneer Day Reflection
๐ต Come, Come, Ye Saints
Today is July 24th.
For many people in the Mountain West, it is Pioneer Day.
A day to remember sacrifice.
A day to remember courage.
A day to remember people who left everything behind in search of a better future.
And today I want to share one of the most beloved songs of the Restoration.
๐ถ Come, Come, Ye Saints
Come Come Ye Saints arranged by Matt Wilberg
Before reading further, take a few minutes and listen.
Then come back.
๐ง
A Song Born on the Trail
This hymn was written by William Clayton in 1846.
At the time, the Saints were leaving Nauvoo.
Many had lost homes.
Many had lost family members.
Many had lost nearly everything they owned.
The future was uncertain.
Yet from those difficult circumstances came one of the most hopeful songs ever written.
"All is well."
Imagine having the faith to sing those words while crossing the plains.
History Is Complicated
Today there is much discussion surrounding William Clayton and his journals.
Many people hope additional records will help answer questions about church history, polygamy, succession, and other difficult subjects.
History matters.
Truth matters.
Honesty matters.
I believe more information is usually better than less information.
But after years of studying history, I have learned something important.
History can teach us.
History can warn us.
History can inform us.
But history cannot save us.
Only Christ can do that.
Take the Light
One lesson I have learned over the years is this:
Take the light wherever you find it.
If something brings you closer to Jesus Christ, cherish it.
If something teaches faith, gratitude, service, charity, or sacrifice, learn from it.
Even when imperfect people are involved.
The Lord has always worked through imperfect people.
Every prophet was imperfect.
Every pioneer was imperfect.
Every one of us is imperfect.
Yet God still finds ways to accomplish His purposes.
Traditions Can Help Us — Or Trap Us
One of the things I see throughout scripture is the danger of traditions.
Not all traditions are bad.
Some traditions preserve memories.
Some traditions preserve truth.
Some traditions bring families together.
But when traditions become more important than hearing the voice of God, they become a problem.
The Savior constantly challenged traditions that kept people from drawing closer to His Father.
He invited people to move beyond inherited beliefs and learn to hear His voice for themselves.
The Rod of Iron
Over the years, my understanding of the rod of iron has changed.
I still love the Book of Mormon story.
But I have come to believe the rod represents more than words written on a page.
It represents the living word of God.
The voice of Christ speaking through the Holy Ghost.
Not just what He said yesterday.
Not just what He said centuries ago.
But what He is saying today.
To me.
To you.
Right now.
The Nemenhah Connection
One thing I appreciate about the Nemenhah Records is their constant invitation to seek direct guidance from the Creator.
To listen.
To remember.
To walk with Him daily.
Not merely to inherit traditions.
But to receive living guidance.
The Creator is not silent.
The Peacemaker is not absent.
The Holy Ghost still speaks.
Matt Wilberg
This song also has a personal connection for me.
The arrangement in this performance was created by Matt Wilberg of the Tabernacle Choir.
Matt served as a missionary in Korea shortly after I did.
I remember hearing stories about him playing the piano in public places and drawing enormous crowds simply because of the beauty of the music.
His gifts have blessed millions of people.
And this arrangement is one of them.
What Do We Do Now?
That is the question that matters most.
Not what happened in 1846.
Not what happened in 1847.
Not what happened in Nauvoo.
Not what happened in Salt Lake.
What do we do now?
How do we build Zion now?
How do we love our neighbor now?
How do we hear the Lord now?
How do we follow Christ today?
The pioneers did their part.
Now it is our turn.
๐ต Take Five Minutes
Listen to the song.
Think about the sacrifices of those who came before.
Learn from their faith.
Learn from their mistakes.
Take the light.
Leave the darkness.
And then ask the Lord a simple question:
"What would You have me do today?"
That answer may do more to build Zion than a thousand arguments about the past.
๐ง
Related Reading
๐ The Lord Is Closer Than You Think
๐ What I Know Now That I Didn't Know Then
๐ Search this blog for:
Pioneers • Zion • Holy Ghost • Nemenhah • Peacemaker • Rod of Iron
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing." — Isaiah 43:18–19
The True Remnant
Comments