The Pure in Heart
The Pure in Heart
"Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God."
Listen to the NEW Song of Zion: The Pure in Heart
What does it really mean to be pure in heart?
For years, I suppose I thought it meant never making mistakes.
Always having the right answers.
Being spiritually strong enough that temptation no longer mattered.
But the older I become, the more I think I misunderstood those words.
The Savior never said,
"Blessed are the perfect."
He said,
"Blessed are the pure in heart."
There is a difference.
Purity is not the absence of weakness.
It is the presence of a heart that honestly desires God.
The scriptures are filled with ordinary people who were far from perfect.
Peter denied the Lord.
Alma rebelled against the Church.
Paul persecuted the Saints.
The sons of Mosiah fought against the truth before becoming devoted servants of Christ.
Even King Benjamin reminded his people that they would always remain dependent upon the merits and mercy of the Holy Messiah.
Yet each of these men eventually became pure in heart.
Not because they had flawless lives.
But because they surrendered their hearts to God.
That changes the way I look at Zion.
For many years I thought Zion was primarily a place.
A city.
A gathering.
Perhaps even a destination.
Now I believe Zion begins much closer to home.
It begins in a single heart.
Every time we forgive instead of retaliating...
Zion grows.
Every time we feed someone who is hungry...
Zion grows.
Every time we choose mercy over judgment...
Zion grows.
Every time we listen before speaking...
Zion grows.
Every act of charity becomes another stone in the foundation of Zion.
That is why I love the line in this song:
"A city is not Zion.
A building is not home.
The Kingdom lives wherever
The love of Christ is shown."
Those words have become increasingly meaningful to me.
Buildings can inspire us.
Organizations can help us.
Traditions can teach us.
But none of them, by themselves, create Zion.
Only changed hearts can do that.
The Book of Mormon repeatedly describes Zion people in surprisingly simple ways.
They had all things common.
There were no poor among them.
They were of one heart.
They cared for one another.
Those descriptions say very little about impressive structures or worldly success.
They speak almost entirely about relationships.
Perhaps that is because heaven has always measured greatness differently than the world.
The world asks,
"How many people follow you?"
Christ asks,
"Whom did you love today?"
The world admires position.
Heaven notices compassion.
The world remembers titles.
Heaven remembers kindness.
The world often celebrates those who stand above others.
The Savior knelt to wash feet.
That image has never left me.
The King of Kings demonstrated that true greatness is found in humble service.
Perhaps purity of heart is simply becoming more like Him.
Not by pretending we have arrived...
But by allowing Him to change us a little more each day.
I have discovered something else along this journey.
The pure in heart are usually not trying to appear pure.
They are simply trying to love well.
They quietly encourage.
They quietly forgive.
They quietly serve.
They often go unnoticed by the world.
Yet heaven knows every one of their names.
When the Savior returns, I do not believe He will first ask us how many arguments we won.
Or how much wealth we accumulated.
Or how many honors we received.
I believe He will recognize something much deeper.
A familiar heart.
A heart that has slowly learned to beat with His.
That is the heart He is gathering.
That is the heart that builds Zion.
Not the strongest.
Not the wealthiest.
Not the most celebrated.
But the humble...
The gentle...
The merciful...
The forgiving...
The charitable...
The pure in heart.
May that become our greatest ambition.
Because wherever those people are found...
Zion is already beginning.
Comments