๐ชถ The Greatest Discovery The Map Was Never the Destination
๐ชถ The Greatest Discovery
The Map Was Never the Destination
Every Sacred Symbol Points to Jesus Christ
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
— Matthew 11:28
Listen to the Narration and Song: The Map Was Never the Destination
____________________________________________________________________________________
Over the past few years, I've shared what I call my Greatest Discoveries.
Some have come from the Bible.
Some from the Book of Mormon.
Some from the teachings of Joseph Smith.
Some from the Nemenhah Sacred Records.
Each discovery has opened another window into the Lord's marvelous work.
But over time, I began noticing something beautiful.
Every one of those discoveries was pointing me somewhere.
Not to another doctrine.
Not to another ordinance.
Not to another sacred symbol.
Not even to another sacred record.
They were all pointing me to one Person.
Jesus Christ.
Looking back now, I honestly believe this has become the greatest discovery of my life.
Everything else...
every scripture...
every covenant...
every ordinance...
every temple...
every sacred symbol...
every inspired record...
is beautiful because it points us to Him.
The map was never the destination.
Jesus Christ is.
๐บ️ The Map Isn't the Journey
Imagine someone handed you a detailed map of Yellowstone National Park.
You studied every road.
You memorized every trail.
You framed the map and hung it on your wall.
You even taught classes about it.
But you never actually packed your truck and drove there.
Would you know Yellowstone?
Not really.
You would know the map.
The map is priceless.
But only because it helps you arrive.
That simple illustration changed the way I began looking at sacred things.
What if every ordinance...
every covenant...
every temple...
every scripture...
was designed to do exactly the same thing?
What if they were never meant to replace the journey...
but to prepare us for it?
Because the destination has never been a ceremony.
The destination has always been Jesus Christ.
๐ The Savior's Invitation
As I returned to the words of Jesus, I noticed something I had somehow overlooked for years.
The Savior spent very little time inviting people into a religious system.
Instead, He continually invited them to Himself.
"Come unto Me."
"Follow Me."
"Abide in Me."
"Learn of Me."
Those invitations are deeply personal.
He wasn't inviting people to simply memorize a path.
He was inviting them to walk beside Him.
Then these words became more precious than ever before:
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." — John 17:3
Notice what He said.
Not simply to know about God.
But to know Him.
That is relationship.
That is discipleship.
That is eternal life beginning here and now.
๐️ What Is the Temple Preparing Me For?
For years I thought mostly about what happened inside the temple.
Then one day another question quietly entered my heart.
What is the temple preparing me to become once I leave?
That one question opened the scriptures in a whole new way.
The Lord has never wanted only outward obedience.
He has always wanted our hearts.
The temple teaches.
It prepares.
It reminds.
But eventually every disciple walks back into ordinary life.
That is where the real journey begins.
Where covenants become daily choices.
Where prayer becomes conversation.
Where faith becomes trust.
Where the Holy Ghost becomes our constant companion.
Where we learn, day by day, to walk with Christ.
๐ชถ A Beautiful Pattern
As I studied the Nemenhah Sacred Records, I found that same beautiful pattern repeated again and again.
They speak of sacred preparation.
Sacred places.
Sacred covenants.
But continually they point beyond the outward experience.
They prepare us to recognize the voice of the Peacemaker.
To hear Him.
To trust Him.
To follow Him.
That impressed me deeply.
Preparation changes everything.
Owning a piano doesn't make someone a musician.
Practice does.
The instrument matters.
But it prepares us for something greater.
Perhaps sacred ordinances work much the same way.
They prepare our hearts to know the Savior.
❤️ Be the Patient
Then life taught me something that books alone never could.
A few years ago I found myself facing major back surgery.
Almost overnight I went from helping others...
to needing help myself.
That wasn't easy.
I've always enjoyed fixing things.
Helping people.
Solving problems.
Now...
I was the patient.
During those months of recovery life became wonderfully quiet.
There were long mornings with my scriptures.
Long conversations with the Lord.
Long moments where there was nothing to do except listen.
Looking back now...
I wouldn't trade those months for anything.
Because somewhere during that recovery...
I stopped trying to simply learn about Christ...
and began trying to know Him.
One morning I had a dream.
A doctor looked at me and quietly said,
"Be the patient. Let me work on you."
When I woke up I knew that wasn't just about my back.
The Great Physician was speaking.
For years I had tried to fix everything myself.
Then quietly I felt Him say,
"Dear son... let Me carry you for a while."
Healing isn't only something God does to our bodies.
Sometimes His greatest miracles happen inside our hearts.
๐️ Learning to Hear His Voice
Looking back over my life, I realize something.
The Lord had been speaking all along.
I was simply too busy to hear Him.
We live in a noisy world.
Always rushing.
Always planning.
Always doing.
But the Good Shepherd has never competed with the noise.
He still speaks the same way He always has.
Quietly.
Lovingly.
Patiently.
One scripture.
One impression.
One answered prayer.
One act of kindness.
One gentle whisper at a time.
"My sheep hear my voice."
Perhaps learning to hear Him has always been one of the greatest purposes of mortality.
๐ฟ One Step at a Time
One of the greatest discoveries I have ever made is that the Lord has never stopped inviting His children to come unto Him.
That invitation didn't end with the New Testament.
It didn't end with the Book of Mormon.
It didn't end with Joseph Smith.
It continues today.
The invitation has never changed.
Come unto Me.
Not...
"Come unto an organization."
Not...
"Come unto a program."
Not...
"Come unto a system."
Simply...
Come unto Me.
Everything else begins making sense once Christ becomes the center.
Prayer becomes conversation.
Scripture becomes alive.
Trials become teachers.
Even pain begins revealing purpose.
Looking back now, I honestly believe my back surgery became one of the greatest blessings of my life.
I never would have chosen it.
But I would never give back what I learned because of it.
The Lord slowed me down enough for me to hear His voice more clearly.
He reminded me that discipleship isn't about doing more.
It's about becoming more.
More loving.
More patient.
More forgiving.
More humble.
More like Him.
๐ My Invitation
I'm not asking you to believe these thoughts simply because I've shared them.
Take them to the Lord.
Open your scriptures.
Pray.
Ask Him.
Listen.
If there is one thing my journey has taught me, it is this:
Our Heavenly Father is still speaking.
Jesus Christ is still calling.
The Holy Ghost is still teaching.
The invitation has never changed.
"Come unto Me."
Not tomorrow.
Not when you've figured everything out.
Not when you finally feel worthy enough.
Today.
Right where you are.
With your questions.
With your hopes.
With your fears.
Walk with Him.
Talk with Him.
Trust Him.
You may discover, as I did, that He has been walking beside you all along.
Sometimes we spend years studying the map...
only to discover the Savior has been waiting beside the road, smiling, inviting us to walk the journey with Him.
And perhaps...
that has been the greatest discovery all along.
In the sacred name of Jesus Christ—
Yeshua Hamashiach—
our Savior...
our Redeemer...
our Friend.
Amen.
Comments