From Knowing About Christ… to Knowing Him

 

From Knowing About Christ… to Knowing Him




Listen to the NEW Narration and Song:        Knowing HIM



There was a question that stayed with me for a long time:

Am I truly walking with God… or am I mostly practicing things that point toward Him?

It wasn't because I had lost my faith. Quite the opposite. I simply wanted to know Jesus Christ better.

As I studied the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and later the Nemenhah Sacred Records, I began noticing a beautiful pattern. Every sacred symbol, every ordinance, every covenant, and every scripture pointed beyond itself to one Person—Jesus Christ.

That realization changed the way I studied.

Instead of asking, "What does this represent?" I began asking, "How does this help me know the Savior better?"

Those are very different questions.

The more I read the words of Jesus, the more I noticed that He rarely invited people into a religious system. His invitation was always deeply personal:

"Come unto Me."

"Follow Me."

"Abide in Me."

He wasn't asking people merely to learn about Him. He was inviting them to walk beside Him.

That changed everything for me.

The symbols of the gospel became even more meaningful because I began to see their true purpose. They are like a map. A map is invaluable, but it is never the destination. Its purpose is to help us arrive.

In the same way, temples, ordinances, covenants, and sacred teachings prepare us for something greater—a living relationship with Jesus Christ.

The destination has never been a ceremony.

The destination has always been Him.

As I continued studying, another question came to my mind:

What is the temple preparing me to become once I leave?

The scriptures repeatedly teach that God wants more than outward obedience. He desires our hearts. Eternal life is not simply knowing about the Father and the Son—it is knowing Them.

That is relationship.

That is transformation.

The Nemenhah Sacred Records echoed that same invitation. They speak often of preparation, holy places, and sacred experiences, but continually point beyond the outward symbol toward hearing God, recognizing His voice, and walking with Him each day.

Then life itself became my greatest teacher.

A few years ago, I faced major back surgery. Overnight, I went from helping others to needing help myself. For someone who enjoys fixing problems, that wasn't easy.

But during those quiet months of recovery, the Lord was doing something far more important than healing my back.

He was slowing me down.

For the first time in years, I had long mornings with my scriptures, quiet conversations with the Lord, and time to simply listen.

One morning I had a dream that I have never forgotten.

A doctor looked at me and said,

"Be the patient. Let me work on you."

When I awoke, I knew the Great Physician was speaking to my heart.

For much of my life, I had tried to carry every burden myself. Yet the Savior seemed to be gently saying,

"Dear son... let Me carry you for a while."

That simple lesson changed me.

God's greatest miracles are often not physical healings. Sometimes He heals our pride. Sometimes our fears. Sometimes our need to always be in control.

Most often, He teaches us to trust Him.

Looking back, I wouldn't trade those months for anything. They taught me that discipleship isn't about doing more.

It's about becoming more.

More loving.

More patient.

More forgiving.

More like Him.

Today, the center of my faith can be summed up in four simple words:

Come unto Me.

Not come unto a program.

Not come unto an organization.

Not come unto a system.

Come unto Me.

Everything else begins to make sense when Christ becomes the center.

Prayer becomes a conversation.

The scriptures come alive.

The Holy Ghost becomes easier to recognize.

Even life's hardest experiences begin to reveal God's loving hand.

If there is one thing my journey has taught me, it is this:

Our Heavenly Father is still speaking.

Jesus Christ is still calling.

The Holy Ghost is still teaching.

His invitation has never changed.

If these thoughts encourage you to draw a little closer to the Savior, then they have accomplished their purpose.

Open your scriptures.

Pray.

Ask Him.

Listen.

You may discover, as I did, that He has been walking beside you all along.

That, to me, is the very heart of the gospel.

Everything else simply points us to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog: The True Remnant

📚 Master Index — Waking Up Zion: The True Remnant Blog Archive

Waking Up Zion --- The Book