๐ What I Know Now --- The Wisdom That Only Time Can Teach
๐ What I Know Now
The Wisdom That Only Time Can Teach
There are lessons that cannot be learned from books alone.
Some truths must be walked.
Some prayers must be lived.
Some tears must first be shed before they become wisdom.
When we are young, we often believe life is about finding all the right answers.
As the years pass, we begin to discover something far more beautiful.
Life is really about learning to trust the One who has always known the answers.
We Spend Much of Life Searching
Most of us begin the journey believing that peace is somewhere else.
Perhaps it is in another church.
Another book.
Another teacher.
Another achievement.
Another season of life.
We climb mountains looking for what has quietly been walking beside us all along.
Jacob discovered that at Bethel.
When he awoke, he exclaimed,
"Surely the Lord is in this place; and I knew it not."
How often could those words become our own testimony?
The Lord was nearer than we imagined.
Grace Becomes the Teacher
There comes a time when life humbles us.
Dreams change.
Bodies grow older.
Plans unravel.
People we love leave this world.
The things we once thought were most important slowly lose their grip.
Grace begins teaching lessons that success never could.
It teaches patience.
Compassion.
Dependence upon God.
Mercy for others because we have needed so much mercy ourselves.
The greatest teacher is rarely comfort.
It is grace meeting us in weakness.
Love Outlasts Every Argument
When people grow older, they seldom wish they had won more debates.
They remember conversations.
Friendships.
Acts of kindness.
Forgiveness they offered...
or wish they had offered.
Paul concluded his great chapter on spiritual gifts with a remarkable declaration:
"The greatest of these is charity."
Not knowledge.
Not influence.
Not accomplishments.
Love.
Everything else eventually fades.
Love remains.
Strength Is Learning to Surrender
Many of us once believed strength meant carrying every burden ourselves.
We tried harder.
Worked longer.
Worried more.
Eventually we discover something liberating.
The Savior never asked us to carry the world.
He simply asked us to follow Him.
The strongest people are not always those who never struggle.
They are those who finally learn to place their burdens into the hands of Christ.
Trust is stronger than control.
Looking Back
As years pass, patterns become easier to see.
Prayers that seemed unanswered were quietly shaping us.
Disappointments redirected our path toward better places.
Closed doors protected us from roads we should never have traveled.
Even painful seasons often become sacred teachers.
Looking backward, we begin to recognize footprints beside our own.
The Shepherd was leading long before we recognized His voice.
What Really Matters
If someone asked an elderly disciple what matters most, the answer would probably sound surprisingly simple.
Love God.
Love people.
Forgive quickly.
Keep your word.
Pray often.
Listen for the Spirit.
Serve quietly.
Walk humbly.
Stay close to Jesus Christ.
Perhaps wisdom is not adding more complicated ideas.
Perhaps wisdom is returning to the simplest truths with greater conviction.
The Lord Was There All Along
If I could speak to my younger self...
I would worry less.
Trust more.
Judge less.
Listen more.
Love more freely.
And I would spend far less time trying to prove that I was right...
and far more time trying to become like Jesus Christ.
Because after all these years...
that is what I know now.
The Lord was closer than I imagined.
He was present in the victories.
He was present in the disappointments.
He was present in the waiting.
He was present in the questions.
He was present in the ordinary days I barely noticed.
He was there...
all along.
And perhaps that is the greatest testimony a lifetime can offer.
Not that I finally found Him.
But that He never stopped walking beside me.
Every prayer.
Every mile.
Every season.
Every step.
Until one day...
faith becomes sight...
and the Shepherd we trusted through life...
welcomes us home.
Then we will understand what the years were quietly teaching us all along.
The greatest wisdom is not knowing everything.
It is knowing the One who has always known us.
Comments